Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Falling in love, falling in love again!

With ELLA!

This sweater created such a buzz during Vogue Knitting Live. At first, I caught a few stares, and some oohs and aaaahs. But pretty soon, I was chatty with everyone about the KAL, and how awesome it would be if they join. I would like to give a big hug to Mindy and Linda again. They were the last set of people that I talked to, and we have been emailing ever since, discussing our plans. Ella has already allowed me to make friends from far away places. As long as there is stash, a knitting friend will last!

There are a few reasons I love Ella so much. I would compare it to Urban Decay's NAKED makeup palette. The eyeshadow kit was an instant sensation upon release, because it matched practically everyone's skin tone. From fair to dark, warm to cool, there is a set of colors in there that works for everyone. Also, the range of looks can go from natural to smoldering smokey eye. Beyond that, a second palette was just released this month.
Ella's construction allows for a beautiful fit on any body type. Petite? You can shorten it. Long torso? Make the bodice a bit longer. Not into long swing coats? Make it hip skimming length. Super romantic? Add more to the ruffles. What I love most is the fact that you can do so much with the color scheme. Solid with contrasting ruffles, stripes all over, stripes only in certain areas, solid and variegated striping effect. The possibilities are endless.

So, without further adieu, I present to you the beginning of my love affair. Ella in the NYC Diva Colorway. My color palette includes Shepherd's Worsted in in Baby Pink, Pink, Hot Pink, Zinnia Pink, Creamsicle, Orange, Antique Rose and Tilli Tomas Flurries in Stargazer Lily and Hibiscus.

In this picture I worked the pattern to the second increase. My striping pattern has even numbered rows for every color. Some stripes were started on the purl side to even out the amount of loose ends on each side. I didn't want them all to be stuck on one side of the coat.

This yarn feels like heaven. I can't say that enough. It is soft, plush and lofty. In my hands it feels like what my hair feels like immediately after a deep conditioner, minus the water. Half of my knitting time is spent just touching the knitted fabric.

Ella is so pretty, that my mom hinted at wanting one. I guess it's time to reinvent my color scheme to an orange palette. This sweater feels so good, I would gladly make 2. I guess it's time to see what colors The Loopy Ewe has. Too bad there isn't a store on NYC that carries Stonehedge Farm Shepherd's Worsted. I guess I will just have to wait for shipping.

No comments: