I must be honest with you. This is the first time I have ever done a proper swatch for a project. The first time I knit at least 4 inches, instead of just barely 2 and a half. The first time I didn't just follow what the pattern said, use the same yarn and needle size, and just go with it. The first time I didn't use the sleeve as my gauge swatch, to have to rip it out and change something. The first time I have contemplated cutting the yarn, so that I can actually wash it. I have usually had good luck with the sweaters I have knit in the past, in that they always fit.
This is also the first time I have ever had to create a color scheme layout on my own. The first time I had to calculate yarn quantity percentages. The first time I sketched something and had to make edits, and secondary edits.
What have I learned from all this? The first time can yield amazing beautiful results.
Upon examining my swatch, I realize that I want to add another 2 rows of hot pink. I think it would look perfect in the exact location that my finger is pointing. My expected gauge should be 18 stitches and 24 rows. However, I am getting 19 stitched and 26 rows. I really like the feel of this fabric. I wonder if I can just knit the next size up. Im afraid that if I go up a needle size, the fabric will not be dense enough. Any thoughts?
Also, it is killing me that I will have to wait a whole week before I can cast on. I am so excited about this Ella KAL.
I am also on love with Shepherd's Wool. It is so soft and plush. Here is a picture of the Festivus gift for "the Brain", the Scrumptious Cowl. I have 30 more rows to go before the project is complete. He got a sneak peek of it today, and told me he wants to buy a new grey coat to match it. He also said he feels special. Awwwwww!
And speaking of cowls, I finished my Scrunchable Bling cowl. I love it. The little pieces of bling don't itch at all. It isn't blocked in this picture, but I don't think blocking is a necessity. I used superwash wool, so I think this will be fine. Now I have something to wear with that coat with the pretty fur collar. More of those pics soon..... I promise.
So, with all this finishing going on, naturally I decided to cast on something else. Last week was really cold on NYC, and I didn't have a proper knitted hat made by yours truly. So, I came up with this idea to make a Cabled Earflap Hat. This hat is designed by Julie Hentz and was originally created for a baby using DK weight yarn on size 6 needles. I took worsted weight "Heavy Metal Wool" fro. http://www.littlebarninc.com/ and doubled it. I am using a size 10.5 16 inch Addi Turbo needle. So far, so good. And yes, of course it's pink.
One Earflap in the making.
2 Earflaps complete
No, this is not a set of Donkey Ears. LOL! Just joined them to the hat.