Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas (Festivus)!!!

Jesus is the reason for season. As a knitter, I love the season of giving. It gives me a chance to see people get excited when they receive a gift that I put a lot of thought and effort into choosing.

I have a friend who I used to work with years ago.  We were a team that knocked out job requests at a rate that was unseen.  Our coworkers called us "Pinky & the Brain".  So, I have spent many hours talking to "The Brain" about things we can do to increase our knowledge in our spare time.  We both want to get more into reading books.  However, "The Brain" has a very demanding schedule, that doesn't allow time for reading.  I was able to get him a gift subscription to Audible.com as his Christmas present.  He absolutely loved it, and I was thrilled that I got him just what he wanted. 

So, fast forward to this morning, whan I opened my gift.  Wrapped up in a nice bag was a pink Hello Kitty pillow.  At first, I thought it was a gag gift, because he always calls me "Pinky" (and he has every right to).  But, I turned the pillow over, and this is what I see. 

I thought "Should I open it?"  "I don't want to ruin the pillow" "Well, it's already been lacerated, so I guess opening it won't hurt".  I squeezed the pillow, and felt something solid inside.  It felt like a box.  So, I dug in to find a box wrapped in pink.  This is what was inside the box. 


I was in shock.  I have talked about wanting to read more books countless times, and mentioned that my bookshelf is filled to the max.  Although I have the Nook for Iphone app, it starts to get irritating reading such a small screen after a while.  We even went into Barnes and Noble, and I played around with the Nook for a little while during my Christmas shopping.  I was totally floored, and called "The Brain" immediately to thank him.  So, he is added to the list of recipients on the Festivus list. 

Here is my list

"The Brain" and "Coworker R.O." - Scrumptious Neck Warmer in Stonehedge Fiber Mill's Shepherd's Wool in Granite and Frosty Blue
"Coworker L.E." - KS Fine Cabled Mittens (Knitspot) in Knitpicks Capretta in Timber
"Orange Hot Momma" - A Noble Cowl in Malabrigo Rios in Glazed Carrot
"Helpful neighbor who attempted knitting once" - Gaptastic Cowl & Hat that I haven't decided on yet in Knitpicks Swish Bulky in Stormy
"Miss Festivus Surprise" - A project I can't really talk about in Knitpicks Capretta in Admiral and Harbor

There will be more updates soon.  The yarn should be here this week, so that I can get started.  I ordered Addi Turbo 16 inch needles in sizes 6 and 8.  Although there is a supposed hype about being able to knit faster with them, I don't really like to buy into "the hype".  However, I started my scrunchable cowl on a pair of Addi's and it is sailing along smoothly.  I love the rhythm I get when I am knitting, and if that allows me to knit faster, than I am game.

Sidebar:  I have been listening to Cast On with Brenda Dayne, and now every time I say Addi Turbo, I hear the sound that she makes in the Podcast every time she says it.  When I hear it, I envision a comet whizzing by at the speed of light.  Let's hope I can get these Festivus presents knitted up quickly.  I have to start on my Ella Reinvented Cardigan mid-January. 

Merry Christmas to all!

No comments: