Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Nook Cover Search and Festivus Yarn.

I am so excited about my Nook that I decided to go on a quest to find the perfect cover.
My first instinct was to make one. I recently found a tutorial on www.urbanthreads.com that explains exactly how to do it. I bought my mom a sewing machine for Christmas, so I figure I should learn to use it too. I found the perfect fabric that I want, and even found out that their wholesaler is in Soho. The wholesaler's website advised that we call the actual stores for availability information. So, I called the City Quilter and was told that the specific fabric I want was a best seller and they no longer had it. Hmmmm....so much for instant gratification. So, I perused the internet and found it on Fabric.com for cheaper than I saw it on the original website. Yaaaaay! I also decided to get extra fabric to make a lovely bag to go with my nook cover. Am I in over my head already? I don't know how to sew, but if Anya can do it in 4 months and win Project Runway, who says I can't? I'd like to poke them with a knitting needle.

So, still in the throngs of the instant gratification monster, I decided that I needed a nook cover NOW, just to protect it until I get to make the one I want. I looked all over for sales and found a pink cover at Lord and Taylor from Cul-de-Sac at a price point of $8.00. I was so excited. I couldn't wait to get off of work.
So, I trudged through the rain and made it over there. I got so excited when I saw pink. Then I looked closely, it was an iPad cover. Dammit! It's too big. Arrrrrgh! However, I saw a glint of silver in the corner of my eye. Next to it was a smaller Ralph Lauren silver embossed leather ereader cover with a sign that said 60% off. The original price was $68 and after discounts it came to a few pennies more than $27. I would have paid more just because it was leather. So, I am super excited once again. I head to the cash register. But before the cashier rings it up, I attempt to place the nook into the cover to see how well it fits. It turns out the cover is about an inch too small on the top and left sides. Dammit! Arrrrgh!
So, the moral of this story is, I need to make my OWN nook cover.

So, on to happier things. When I got home, I opened up my package from The Loopy Ewe. They packaged everything so nicely, and even wrote me a lovely note. I got the yarn for 3 projects, and a pattern for a fourth, as well as my Addi Turbo's. (I am still hearing the audio clip from the Cast On podcast in my head). The yarn is Shepherd's Wool in Granite and Frosty Blue, and Malabrigo Rios in Glazed Carrot. They are all super soft and yummy, and I can't wait to start knitting. I also got a little thingy to keep track of my knitting needles and a sample of Loopy Ewe yarn. Lovely!
Here is the visual of my Festivus stash addition.

5 comments:

Rosi G. said...

Was this your first Loopy order? I LOOOOVE the Loopy Ewe. They are most awesome!

Shameka said...

@The Soapy Knitter - Yes, it was my first, but it certainly won'r be my last. I loved the way they packaged everything, and how thoughtful they are. It seems like their customer service people really love their job.

K. Thompson said...

I've heard a lot about the Loopy Ewe, but I've never ordered from them. I'll have to browse on over and see what neat stash enhancements I can find!

K. Thompson said...

I've heard a lot about the Loopy Ewe, but I've never ordered from them. I'll have to browse on over and see what neat stash enhancements I can find!

K. Thompson said...

I've heard a lot about the Loopy Ewe, but I've never ordered from them. I'll have to browse on over and see what neat stash enhancements I can find!