Friday, May 8, 2015

Socks on a Plane!!!!!

These socks have been on quite an adventure.

I saw this beautiful yarn on Instagram one morning. A knitting friend of mine had just purchased it and took a picture. I immediately asked her where I could get it.

The answer was SpunRightRound's Etsy shop. Lately, I have been buying tons of yarn on Etsy. I believe that it's very important to support our knitter friends who own small businesses, because at the heart of it all, they are putting their time and effort into their work because they really love what they do. I am also very empowered when I see a woman successfully running a business on her own terms. It just so happens that the majority of indie yarn shops are run by women. So, it was a no brainier. 

I showed the picture to my Knatural Purls knitting group, who is always my sounding board when I have any knitting idea. I think I clicked "buy" before waiting on an answer. A few days later, the yarn had arrived from Rochester, NY. 

The colorway is FLUFF. I noticed that there is a definite similarity between this yarn and 2 other speckle-dyed yarns that I own. But, of course I had to have all of them. 


So, a friend of mine invited me to go to Toronto, in the middle of the winter, to attend a Machel Montano concert. Of course I said yes. Toronto was really cold, but his performances are always blazing hot. On the trip, I needed some plane knitting and that's when it hit me. SOCKS ON A PLANE 

The pattern is designed by Laura Linneman aka Lala Knits. It's a free pattern on Ravelry. Toe up with a cable going up the outer edge of the front of each foot. The heel is just a gusset and turn. No heel flap. No picking up stitches. This was a new heel construction for me, so I had to try it. 

I casted this on in February for my 60 Minute Sockagram Ravelry group. 


This pic is actually in the hotel room while we were just enjoying some nice beverages. Hehe. 

After all of the festivities, I finally got a picture of the socks actually on a plane.



So, fast forward to the month of May. I had already had 1 sock completed, and I just needed to work on the heel of the second.  



During Maryland Sheep and Wool, I told everyone who introduced themselves about 60 Minute Sockagram. Then I'm like Oh gosh, I need to finish those socks.
It didn't help that my friend Ladybean73 knit hers in a day. Geez!!  Making me look bad. Lol. 


So, I worked on completing the sock, and here is my finished product.

I have 9 grams of yarn left over.


Here is my sockagram video of the Socks on a Plane journey.  
 

 
 

No comments: