Friday, February 17, 2012

Eye Strain

It has been a really long day. I have been staring at a computer screen intently for 12 hours. It's a marvelous wonder that my eyes haven't just jumped out of their sockets and ran to the Optic Police to charge me with overuse and abuse. When you look at pixels all day, your eyes overwork because they are trying to focus on an image that is not real. So they tire themselves out by constantly refocusing. Now just multiply that with 4 straight hours of zooming in and out of Photoshop images to make sure each pixel is the correct color. No wonder I feel crazy right now.

I have decided that the best solution for this is to stare at a real image that is really pretty. I just wound up some Red Barn Yarn in the Nora #7 color way. It's a nice mix of Mohair and Wool that will become Escher's Oriental Poppy Cowl. I'm waiting for my poppy yarn to arrive, but I can cast on for the cowl in the meantime. So instead of hurting my eyes more by reading from my Nook, or playing Angry Birds on the way to work tomorrow... I will be knitting. It is soothing to the soul, and guess what? I can do it with my eyes closed.

This pattern calls for a size 10 needle. The only ones I could find were these Susan Bates straights that I got from an EBay auction 10 years ago. It feels good to go back to the basics.

Now, time to cast on and work the first row, so I can rest up for work tomorrow. Subway knitting, here I come!

No comments: