Monday, November 8, 2010
The pattern calls for size 4 needles, and a DK weight yarn. I am using Shelridge Farm Softouch DKW. I know that this is supposed to be steeked, and this is a Superwash yarn. I fully intend to sew it before cutting the steeks.
So, using the size 4 needles, I get 32 stitches/4 inches instead of the recommended 22 stitches/4 inches. REALLY ???? Then, I decided to move up a needle size and see where that brings me. The size 5 needles give me 28 stitches/4 inches. That's when I got fed up and took this picture. When will I ever be able to start? The portion closest to my fingers is the size 5 swatch. I can see a considerable difference when I compare the two, but it still isn't enough.
So, I tried a size 6 needle, and that gave me 26 stitches/4 inches. Using this, I decided to go up to the size 42" measurements. 230 stitches casted on, divided by 6.5 is roughly 35 inches. Since my real measurements are 34 inches, I wouldn't mind having 1 extra inch of ease. That leaves room, just in case I want to have a big dinner, or a few desserts. Hehe! By the time I finish this sweater, Thanksgiving leftovers will have already been consumed.
So I casted on, and am officially moving forward with this sweaeter. FINALLY! Wish me luck, or better yet PRAY FOR ME.