Today is the day that my friend Beverly is having a baby shower. So, last night I gave myself a challenge. I have been thinking anout making a baby hat for her boy who will be here soon. However, I didn't have a pattern to suit the yarn I wanted to use. I decided to use my SWS (soy Wool Stripes) yarn that I acquired from the Yarn Harlot's booksigning. I used a pattern from "Knitting 2007 Pattern-A-Day Calendar called "Live Dangerously, Don't Swatch Hat". I like that name because I hate swatching, and frankly, I had no time to do so. Also, it is a top-down pattern, so that makes it easier to see what I am doing as I go along, especially with the color variations. So i followed the directions for the crow, and then invented the rest of it.
I was working on it last night, and finished the crown, and about two inches of the "body". This morning I did one more inch, and added an inch of ribbing for elasticity and design. I sure hope Bev's baby likes it, because I really do. I used size 8 DPN's for the crown and body, and size 5 DNP's for the ribbing. I know I should have used size 6, but I don't have those, and the hat was too small to put on a 16 inch circular. I increased the hat to 72 stitches, knitted 3 inches in stockinette, and ribbed 1 inch, and bound off the hat using the size 8 needles. This was a quick and easy knit.