Monday, August 4, 2014

Happy Birthday to me..... 2 weeks later. Haha!

It's been a few weeks since my last post, and although my hexipuff knitting has slowed down a bit, the knitting bug is still biting. I celebrated a 30-something birthday on July 22nd, and took the time to reflect on a few things. Then it hit me. BAM!!! I need to make an infinity cowl.

The color inspiration came from a skirt that I wore on my birthday. A very bright peachy orange.

I've gotten so obsessed, that I even did an acrylic nail overlay with this color.

Well, it didn't stop there. I had to find a yarn in this color. Lo and behold, it was waiting for me at Purl Soho. Madeline Tosh Tosh Merino Light in Neon Peach. Oh, they have it in DK too..... but that's for another project.

So, of course I immediately went to buy it. It was my birthday gift to myself.

My mom decided to model the yarn for me, and yes her nails match as well. This color is so infectious.


With the flash on, it looks Neon Pinky and with no flash it looks Neon Orangey.




I also bought a stitch dictionary, so that I can try some new design ideas. This book is especially helpful because it gives you the instructions for knitting flat or in the round, bottom up or top down. How cool is that?

So, of course I pick out 3 lace panels and start testing them out with the yarn. At one point I had to rip it out and choose a different pattern #3, because it just wasn't working. But that's all in the fun process of designing right?





So, now at this point, I have already mapped out where I want this birthday cowl to take me. I casted on the appropriate amount of stitches needed for my cowl and began the journey.

My goal is to have something that is feminine, pretty, light and lofty. Yet, still warm enough to ward off an autumn chill.

Here I am, finishing 1 repeat of one of my lace panels. A little early to see the magic happen, but the kinks are worked out and I'm taking notes. I already have two offers for test knitters. Knitters are such beautiful people. They have such faith in the end product, even though the path isn't fully mapped out. I love it.


Oh, and let's not forget my second birthday present to myself.

 I finally got my FULL ChiaoGoo Needle set.

I had wanted the set since I bought 2 fixed circulars at Rhinebeck and loved the way the yarn felt gliding through my fingers harmoniously with the needle. It's a feeling only a knitter can understand. Craftsy had a 40% off sale last week. I also ordered a kit to make the Aran Counterpane sock. That kit just put me over the threshold for free shipping. Why put the money toward shipping when it can be better used toward yarn?

I love how the package comes with a pocket for the needle gauge and keys for tightening the cables. Everything is labeled nicely and has its specific compartment. I can't wait to put new stitch markers in the little pocket.

The yarn that came with the sock kit is Lorna's Laces Solemate in Buckingham Fountain. I wanted to make a sock, but after attending the Stephen and Steven tour, it might very well turn into some sort of scarf/shawl/wrap/neck thingy. I seem to have a cowl obsession. Don't judge me. More on the Stephen and Steven tour coming up really soon.......



No comments: