Friday, November 9, 2012

NaKniSweMo 2012

November is upon us once again. I have decided to take on the challenge of knitting a sweater in one month, once again. My sweater of choice is Pole by Joji. This sweater is the opposite of straight and skinny. It is a wrap around sweater that hugs every curve, and looks flattering on almost anyone.

The yarn I have chosen for this is Yowza - Whatta Skein from Miss Babs. Since this sweater is a continuous circle, having 560 yards on one continuous strand is perfect. The color I am using is Luna Granite Monochrome. I like the slight variations in grey, and it matches a pair of my favorite boots. So, overall I am happy.

Since this sweater is flouncy and has very little shape to it, I decided not to be so strict with searching. I just followed the directions and cast on the 34/36 size. It turns out that on size 9 needles, I was only getting 12 inches across the back portion, when it really should have been 15 inches. I went up to a size 10 needle, and figured that this looser fabric would go well since the pattern specifies for a loose fabric.
It still wasn't 15 inches. So, then I casted on for the 54/56 size, and got the exact measurements that I needed.

Once the back was complete, I casted on 74 stitches to make up the measurement for the 18 inch body piece. I also modified where I started my short rows, and put it at 44 stitches instead of 36. I am trying to keep things proportional now, since I am practically rewriting the pattern for this yarn.

So far, I completed 1 wedge of the circle, as you can see in the last picture.

No comments: